Import Journal Entries into QuickBooks Desktop
Import Journal Entries from Supported File Formats directly into QuickBooks Desktop using SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) - #1 user rated and Intuit trusted bulk data automation tool built exclusively for QuickBooks.
SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) supports QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant Editions.
You can download the free trial of the software directly from the SaasAnt Website. Follow this article for detailed installation instruction.
Steps to Import Journal Entries into QuickBooks
Importing with SaasAnt Transaction is a breeze with our simplified and powerful Import wizard. Just follow a simple 3 step process to bulk import your file data to QuickBooks.
Click Import button in the Dashboard screen or Import option from the File menu in the menubar to navigate to File Selection screen of the Import wizard(Step 1).
- Step 1 - File Selection: Select "QuickBooks Transaction Type" as "Journal Entry". "Select Your File" - You can either click "Browse File" to browse and select the file from local computer folder or click "Sample Templates" to navigate to SaasAnt sample file in local.
- Step 2 - Mapping: Set up the mapping of the file columns corresponding to QuickBooks fields. This step will be automated for you if you use the SaasAnt template file. Download Sample Template file.
- Step 3 - Review & Import: Review your file data in the Review Grid screen and click "Send to QuickBooks" to upload your file data to QuickBooks.
More detailed instruction of the steps are available in this article.
Mapping QuickBooks Fields
|Journal Entry No||Text (Max Length: 11 Characters)||Reference number for the transaction. By default, this value is used only for internal processing by SaasAnt Transactions ().|
|Journal Date *||Date||Date of the transaction|
|Account *||Reference Text||Account corresponding to Dr/ Cr.|
|Amount **[OR]||Decimal||Line amount corresponding to both Debit & Credit. Debits are expressed as Positive amounts and Credits as Negative amounts.|
Express amount separately under Debit & Credit columns respectively.
|Memo||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)|
|Name||Reference Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Customer, Vendor, or Employee associated with the line, if any.|
If the Account is Accounts Payable, the Debit line must have a Vendor.
If the Account is Accounts Receivable, the Debit line must have a Customer.
|Billable Status||Billable, NotBillable, HasBeenBilled||Billable Status if the Name is a Customer|
|Class||Reference Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Class reference to this line|
|Currency||Text||Reference to the Currency in which all amounts on the associated transaction are expressed|
|Exchange Rate||Decimal||Default is 1, applicable if multi-currency is enabled for the company.|
The number of home currency units it takes to equal one unit of currency specified under Currency
All (*) marked fields are mandatory.
A host of powerful customisations for your file data is available with Import Settings. This is available in the Step 3: Review & Import screen or directly under "Edit" Menu in the menubar. Some of the very useful settings for transaction includes:
- Find Matching Transactions in QuickBooks by: Identifier to locate existing transactions in your QuickBooks.
- Action When a Matched Transaction Found: If an existing transaction is found for the above setting identifier then the corresponding action to be taken. You can choose to Duplicate/ Ignore/ Update/ Append existing transaction in your QuickBooks.
- Pre-Import Validation: Validate the complete file before importing to QuickBooks. By turning this setting ON, file rows will be imported only after cleaning up all the issues in file. This option however will delay the import.
More details about the settings related to Automatic creation of Items, Assigning reference number from the file, etc are available in this article.
Most of us would have some questions while moving data to your QuickBooks Online. Some of them for your reference below:
- I want to import Journals with Journal Numbers from File. Is it supported?
Yes. It is supported.
- Will your application support Multi Line Transactions?
Yes. It will.
- I made some mistakes in the Import and my QuickBooks reports got corrupted. Is there any way to undo or revert my Import?
It is possible to undo the import completely/ partially with the Delete feature.
- Does your app support taxes?
Yes. It does.
- My file has some specific date format. I don't want to change the file. Will your product support all date formats?
Yes. You can select the specific date format as per your requirement in the import settings.
- Do you have any sample templates?
Yes. We do have. Sample Template
- What are the file types supported by your application?
TXT, CSV, XLS, XLSX etc. Supported File Formats
- How do I report the issues if I am stuck?
Feel free to drop an email to email@example.com