Import Credit Card Transactions into QuickBooks
Import Credit Card Statements from Supported File Formats directly into QuickBooks Desktop using SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) - #1 user rated and Intuit trusted bulk data automation tool built exclusively for QuickBooks.
SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) supports QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant Editions.
You can download the free trial of the software directly from the SaasAnt Website. Follow this article for detailed installation instruction. You can easily import credit card transactions into QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps to Import Credit Card Transactions into QuickBooks Desktop
Importing with SaasAnt Transaction is a breeze with our simplified and powerful Import wizard. Just follow a simple 3 step process to bulk import your file data to QuickBooks.
Click the Import button in the Dashboard screen or Import option from the File menu in the menubar to navigate to the File Selection screen of the Import Wizard(Step 1).
- Step 1 - File Selection: Select "QuickBooks Transaction Type" as "Credit Card Statement". "Select Your File" - You can either click "Browse File" to browse and select the file from the local computer folder or click "Sample Templates" to navigate to SaasAnt sample file in local.
- Step 2 - Mapping: Set up the mapping of the file columns corresponding to QuickBooks fields. This step will be automated for you if you use the SaasAnt template file. Download Sample Template file.
- Step 3 - Review & Import: Review your file data in the Review Grid screen and click "Send to QuickBooks" to upload your file data to QuickBooks.
More detailed instruction of the steps are available in this article.
How does it work?
Let's assume that we have a file which contains following credit card statement.
|23/12/18||Purchase of Phones||-100|
Credit card statement statement has Charges for Vendors and Credit/Refunds from Vendors.To import Charges(Expense) and Refunds ,we need to mention
1. Credit Card Account
3.Customer or Vendor Names
Let's modify the file to add above details.
|Date||Description||Amount||Credit Card Account||Account||Payee|
|23/12/18||Purchase of Phones||-100||Amex||Uncatergorized Expense Account||John|
|23/12/18||Card Payment||900||Amex||Telephone Expense Account||Telephone Company 1|
Now we can import this file using SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop).
- If the transaction has POSITIVE Amount, it will be considered as Credits/ Refunds.
- If the transaction has NEGATIVE Amount, it will be considered as Expense /Charges .
If the file has separate columns for Credit and Debit, It can be directly mapped too.
Statement Line as Credit Card Charge
Statement Line as Refund
Mapping QuickBooks Fields
|Statement No||Text (Max Length: 11 Characters)||Statement No for Credit Card Credit Transaction|
|Date *||Date||The date when this transaction occurred.|
|Credit Card Account *||Reference Text||Name of the Credit Account for this transaction.|
Name or Account Number can be given.
|Payee *||Reference Text||Reference to Vendor,Employee or Customer.|
Name , Account Number or Custom Field Value can be given.
|Account *||Reference Text||Reference to the Expense Account Name or Income Account Name associated with the transaction.|
Name or Account Number can be given.
|Amount *||Decimal||The amount of the transaction.|
NEGATIVE Amount will be considered as Expense /Charges
POSITIVE Amount will be considered as Credits/ Refunds
|Credit **||Decimal||Refund Amount|
|Debit **||Decimal||Expense Amount|
|Memo||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)|
|Customer||Reference Text||Name of the customer associated with this expense or refund.|
|Billable Status||Boolean ( True / False)||Is the customer to be billed ?|
|Currency||Currency Code||3 Letter Currency Code Ex: USD,EUR|
All (*) marked fields are mandatory.
A host of powerful customisations for your file data is available with Import Settings. This is available in the Step 3: Review & Import screen or directly under "Edit" Menu in the menubar. Some of the very useful settings for transaction includes:
- Find Matching Transactions in QuickBooks by: Identifier to locate existing transactions in your QuickBooks.
- Action When a Matched Transaction Found: If an existing transaction is found for the above setting identifier then the corresponding action to be taken. You can choose to Duplicate/ Ignore/ Update/ Append existing transaction in your QuickBooks.
- Pre-Import Validation: Validate the complete file before importing to QuickBooks. By turning this setting ON, file rows will be imported only after cleaning up all the issues in file. This option however will delay the import.
More details about the settings related to Automatic creation of Items, Assigning reference number from the file, etc are available in this article.
Most of us would have some questions while moving data to your QuickBooks Online. Some of them for your reference below:
- Will your application support Multi Line Transactions?
Yes. It will.
- I made some mistakes in the Import and my QuickBooks reports got corrupted. Is there any way to undo or revert my Import?
It is possible to undo the import completely/ partially with the Delete feature.
- Does your app support taxes?
Yes. It does.
- My file has some specific date format. I don't want to change the file. Will your product support all date formats?
Yes. You can select the specific date format as per your requirement in the import settings.
- Do you have any sample templates?
Yes. We do have. Sample Template
- What are the file types supported by your application?
TXT, CSV, XLS, XLSX etc. Supported File Formats
- How do I report the issues if I am stuck?
Feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org