Import Bills into Quickbooks Desktop
Import Bills from Supported File Formats directly into QuickBooks Desktop using SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) - #1 user rated and Intuit trusted bulk data automation tool built exclusively for QuickBooks.
SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop) supports QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant Editions.
You can download the free trial of the software directly from the SaasAnt Website. Follow this article for detailed installation instruction.
Steps to Import Bills into Quickbooks Desktop
Importing with SaasAnt Transaction is a breeze with our simplified and powerful Import wizard. Just follow a simple 3 step process to bulk import your file data to QuickBooks.
Click the Import button in the Dashboard screen or Import option from the File menu in the menubar to navigate to the File Selection screen of the Import Wizard(Step 1).
- Step 1 - File Selection: Select "QuickBooks Transaction Type" as "Bill". "Select Your File" - You can either click "Browse File" to browse and select the file from the local computer folder or click "Sample Templates" to navigate to SaasAnt sample file locally.
- Step 2 - Mapping: Set up the mapping of the file columns corresponding to QuickBooks fields. This step will be automated for you if you use the SaasAnt template file. Download Sample Template file.
- Step 3 - Review & Import: Review your file data in the Review Grid screen and click "Send to QuickBooks" to upload your file data to QuickBooks.
More detailed instructions on the steps are available in this article.
Mapping QuickBooks Fields
|Bill No||Text (Max Length: 20 Characters)||Reference number for the transaction.By default, this value is used only for internal processing by SaasAnt Transactions (Desktop), and QuickBooks auto-generates a new value. This can be changed in the import settings.|
|Vendor *||Reference Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Vendor reference for this transaction.|
Vendor reference can be matched by
Full Name, First Name, Company Name, Account NO., Tax Id, Custom Field, Look up (configured via Import Settings)
|Currency||Text||The Currency Code for this transaction.|
|Date||Date||The date when this transaction occurred.|
|Due Date||Date||Date when the payment of the transaction is due.|
|Terms||Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)||Reference to the terms for the Bill.|
|Address Line 1||Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||First line of the address.|
|Address Line 2||Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Second line of the address.|
|Address Line 3||Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Third line of the address.|
|Address Line 4||Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Fourth line of the address.|
|Address Line 5||Text (Max Length: 41 Characters)||Fifth line of the address.|
|City||Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)||City name.|
|Country||Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)||Country name.|
|State||Text (Max Length: 21 Characters)||Region within a country.|
|Postal Code||Text (Max Length: 13 Characters)||Postal code (zip code for USA and Canada).|
|AP Account||Reference Text (Max Length: 159 Characters)||Account payable.|
|Memo||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)||The Note about the Bill Transaction.|
|Exchange Rate||Decimal||The Exchange Rate of the given currency against the home currency.|
|Expense Account *||Reference Text (Max Length: 159 Characters)||Reference to the Expense Account Name associated with the billing.|
Name or Account Number can be given.
|Expense Amount *||Decimal||The amount of the expense line.|
|Expense Memo||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)||The Note about the expense line.|
|Expense Customer||Reference Text (Max Length: 209 Characters)||Reference to the Customer associated with the expense.|
Customer reference can be matched by Full Name, First Name, Company Name, Account NO., Resale NO., Custom Field, Look up(configured via Import Settings)
|Expense Billable||Billable, NotBillable, HasBeenBilled||The billable status of the expense.|
|Expense Class||Reference Text (Max Length: 159 Characters)||Reference to the Class for the Expense.|
|Expense Sales Rep||Reference Text (Max Length: 5 Characters)|
|Product/Service *||Reference Text||Reference to the Item.|
Item reference can be matched by Full Name, Custom Field, Look up (configured via Import Settings)
|Inventory Site||Reference Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)||Reference to the Item Site|
|Inventory Site BIN||Reference Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)||Reference to the Item BIN corresponding to the Site. Should be specified in the Site:BIN format.|
|Product/Service Quantity||Decimal||The Quantity of the Item.|
|Product/Service Rate||Decimal||The unit price of the Item.|
|Product/Service Amount *||Decimal||The Total Amount of the Item. Not required if Line Item Quantity & Line Item Rate are present.|
|Serial No||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)|
|Lot No||Text (Max Length: 40 Characters)|
|Product/Service Description||Text (Max Length: 4095 Characters)||Description of the Item.|
|Unit Of Measure||Reference Text (Max Length: 31 Characters)|
|Product/Service Customer||Reference Text (Max Length: 209 Characters)||Reference to the Customer associated with the expense.|
Customer reference from below options.
Customer Look up Strategies with Import Settings- Full Name, First Name, Company Name, Account NO., Resale NO., Custom Field, Look up
|Product/Service Billable||Billable, NotBillable, HasBeenBilled|
|Product/Service Sales Rep||Reference Text (Max Length: 5 Characters)|
|Product/Service Class||Reference Text (Max Length: 159 Characters)|
|Text (Max Length: 1023 Characters)|
|Phone||Text (Max Length: 21 Characters)|
|Tax Inclusive||Boolean (True/False)|
Applicable only for QuickBooks Canada, UK versions
|Tax calculation method.|
All (*) marked fields are mandatory.
A host of powerful customisations for your file data is available with Import Settings. This is available in the Step 3: Review & Import screen or directly under "Edit" Menu in the menubar. Some of the very useful settings for transaction includes:
- Find Matching Transactions in QuickBooks by: Identifier to locate existing transactions in your QuickBooks.
- Action When a Matched Transaction Found: If an existing transaction is found for the above setting identifier then the corresponding action to be taken. You can choose to Duplicate/ Ignore/ Update/ Append existing transaction in your QuickBooks.
- Pre-Import Validation: Validate the complete file before importing to QuickBooks. By turning this setting ON, file rows will be imported only after cleaning up all the issues in file. This option however will delay the import.
More details about the settings related to Automatic creation of Items, Assigning reference number from the file, etc are available in this article.
Most of us would have some questions while moving data to your QuickBooks Online. Some of them for your reference below:
- I want to import Bills with Bill Numbers from File. Is it supported?
Yes. It is supported.
- Will your application support Multi Line Transactions?
Yes. It will. Same Bill No needs to be present in multiple lines to group the transactions.
- I made some mistakes in the Import and my QuickBooks reports got corrupted. Is there any way to undo or revert my Import?
It is possible to undo the import completely/ partially with the Delete feature.
- Does your app support taxes?
Yes. It does.
- I don't want to create Products,Vendors or Customers automatically for my Bills. I can't create Products,Vendors or Customers before each upload. Is it supported?
Yes. It is. You can auto-create unavailable Products,Vendors or Customers Or turn this setting off in the import settings..
- My file has some specific date format. I don't want to change the file. Will your product support all date formats?
Yes. You can select the specific date format as per your requirement in the import settings.
- Do you have any sample templates?
Yes. We do have. Sample Template
- What are the file types supported by your application?
TXT, CSV, XLS, XLSX etc. Supported File Formats
- How do I report the issues if I am stuck?
Feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org