You can import bill payments from text files or Excel spreadsheets directly into QuickBooks Online using Excel Transactions software.
Connect your QuickBooks Online to Excel Transactions App from QBO AppStore by clicking the "Get App Now" button.
You can get the free trial of the product in the QBO AppStore.
Basic Import Steps
Click on "Upload File" Menu and upload your file
- Select your file and spreadsheet which has the Bill Payment that you want to import
- Select the QBO entity as Bill Payments
- Set up the a Mapping of the columns in your bill payment import file to the corresponding fields in QuickBooks (Refer below Section)
- Click Import and your bill payments will be directly added to your QuickBooks company
The important step in the import is to map the your file headers to QuickBooks Field in Step 3 of the import.
- You need to map your file headers to "Excel Transactions" fields.This mapping will enable us to import your transactions properly in to QuickBooks company.
- In the mapping screen, we have the "Preview Mapping" button which can help you to visualize your current mappings per the QBO screen with your file headers.
- Please refer basics of field mappings for more info. If you have any confusion or doubts, feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excel Transactions Fields
|Ref No||21 Characters||Reference number for the transaction.|
|Vendor||Characters||Name of the vendor for this transaction.|
|Payment Date||Date||The date entered by the user when this transaction occurred.|
|Bank or CC Account||Characters||Name of the bank account / Credit card Account.|
|Memo||4000 Characters||Note about the bill payment.|
|Bill No||Characters||The reference number of the bill being paid.|
|Amount||Decimal||The total Amount of the Bill Payment.|
|Currency Code||Characters||The Currency Code for this Bill Payment.|
|Exchange Rate||Decimal||The Exchange Rate of the given currency against the home currency.|
|Print Status||Boolean||The Print Status of the Bill Payment.|
Possible Failures & Troubleshooting Tips
The currency of the transaction is invalid for customer / vendor / account.
The given Currency is different than the default currency of the Customer. Please refer the Customer's Currency in QBO and update the same currency in Currency Field.
Duplicate Document Number Error: You must specify a different number. This number has already been used.
There is an another Receive Payment has the same reference number.Please use the another reference number.
You have disabled "Auto Create List Entities" in Import Settings. By enabling this feature, QBO will automatically assign numbers for the transaction.
Invalid account type: You need to select a different type of account for this transaction.
Please provide valid deposit account in "Account" field.
No matching Bill found for given Bill No.
Kindly provide the valid Bill Number in "Bill No" Field.
Line amount should be greater than zero.
Please provide positive value in Amount Field.
Bill No. cannot be linked by QuickBooks. Check if Bill No. matches with given Vendor.
Kindly provide the valid Bill Number & corresponding Vendor Name.
No matching vendor found (or) could be created for the provided details.
There is no match found for given Vendor Name.
Please enable "Auto Creation of List Entities ( Vendor, Customer)" feature in import settings to create the Vendor automatically.