You can import Employees from text files or Excel spreadsheets directly into QuickBooks Online using Excel Transactions software.
Connect your QuickBooks Online to Excel Transactions App from QuickBooks AppStore by clicking the "Get App Now" button.
You can get the free trial of the product in the QuickBooks AppStore.
Basic Import Steps
Click on "Upload File" Menu and upload your file.
- Select your file and spreadsheet which has the employees that you want to import
- Select the QuickBooks entity as Employee
- Set up the mapping of the columns in your employees import file to the corresponding fields in QuickBooks (Refer below Section)
- Click Import and your employees will be directly added to your QuickBooks company
The important step in the import is to map your file headers to QuickBooks field in Step 3 of the import. Some key steps below:
- You need to map your file headers to "Excel Transactions" fields.This mapping will enable us to import your transactions properly in to QuickBooks company.
- In the mapping screen, we have the "Preview Mapping" button which can help you to visualize your current mappings as per the QuickBooks screen with your file headers.
- Please refer basics of field mappings for more info. If you have any confusion or doubts, feel free to drop an email to email@example.com.
Excel Transactions Fields
|Title||Characters||Title of the Vendor.|
|First Name||25 Characters||Given name or first name of the Vendor.|
|Middle Name||25 Characters||Middle name of the Vendor.|
|Last Name||25 Characters||Family name or the last name of the Vendor.|
|Suffix||10 Characters||Suffix of the name.|
|Display Name As||100 Characters||The name of the vendor or organization as displayed in QuickBooks Online. This must be unique across all other customers, employees, vendors, and other names.|
|Print On Check As||100 Characters||Name of the Vendor or organization as printed on a check. If it not provided, this is populated from Display Name.|
|Address Line 1||500 Characters||First line of the Billing Address.|
|Address Line 2||500 Characters||Second line of the Billing Address.|
|Address Line 3||500 Characters||Third line of the Billing Address.|
|Address City||255 Characters||City Name.|
|Address Postal Code||31 Characters||Postal code (Zip code for USA and Canada).|
|Address Country||255 Characters||Name of the country.|
|Address State||255 Characters||Region within a country. E.g. State Name for USA, Province name for Canada.|
|Phone||21 Characters||The telephone number in free form.|
|Mobile||21 Characters||The Mobile number in free form.|
|Fax||21 Characters||The fax machine number in free form.|
|Other||21 Characters||Other contact information.|
|Email||100 Characters||An email address.|
|Employee Number||99 Characters||ID number of the employee in the Organization.|
|SSN||Characters||Social security number (SSN) of the employee. If SSN is set, it is masked in the response with XXX-XX-XXXX. If XXX-XX-XXXX is sent in the create or update request, XXX-XX-XXXX is ignored and the old value is preserved. This attribute cannot be passed in a request when QuickBooks Payroll is enabled.|
|Billable Time||Boolean||This Employee is currently enabled for use by QuickBooks.|
|Billable Rate||Decimal||The Open balance amount or the amount unpaid by the Vendor.|
|Gender||Characters||Gender of the employee.|
|Notes||2000 Characters||Free form text describing the Employee.|
|Hired Date||Date||Hire date of the employee.|
|Released Date||Date||Release date of the employee.|
|Birth Date||Date||Birth date of the employee.|
Most of us would have some questions while moving data to your QuickBooks Online. Some of them for your reference below:
- Will your application support Multi Line Transactions?
Yes. It will. More Info...
- I made some mistakes in the mapping. Your application imported wrongly.So my QuickBooks file got corrupted. Is there any way to undo or revert?
Sometimes it happens due to the wrong mapping. It is possible to delete the entire employees which went wrong. Our DELETE feature is the rescue. More Info...
- I want to get an email for each upload. Is it possible?
Yes. It is. You need to enable couple of settings while importing. More Info...
- Does your app support taxes?
Yes. It does. Tax model.
- My file has some specific date format. I don't want to change the file. Will your product support all date formats?
Yes. You can select the specific date format as per your requirement. More Info...
- Do you have any sample templates?
Yes. We do have. Sample template for Imports.
- What are the file types supported by your application?
txt, csv, xls, xlsx files
- How do I report the issues if I stuck?
Feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Possible Failures & Troubleshooting Tips
Employee object does not contain a city, state or zip code !
Please provide valid Postal Code & State details.
Another employee, vendor or customer is already using this name. Please enter a different name.
This Employee is already available in QuickBooks with given "Display Name". If you want to continue with same employee,please change the "Display Name".
Invalid social security number !
Please provide valid SSN.
This is a duplicate Social Security Number belonging to another employee.
Please provide valid SSN or clear SSN Field.
Phone number must be formatted like xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Change the given phone number to required format xxx-xxx-xxxx
Invalid value : **** Allowed values are [ MALE, FEMALE ].
Allowed values are Male & Female.